Sunday, July 22, 2007

This Thing About Old Boys..

I just finished reading this



That actually brought my memory to this



which I read months ago but never had the time to write a review on it.


Both are written by MCKK old boys. I am not a good writer so I don't really have that talent to twist the words ( althought I can twist balloons,now... :)) and certainly not the talent to write a good review on these two books... but I really have to say what's on my mind right now.

Born and raised at the turn of the millennium ( if u consider the late 70's as the starting point of the turn of a new millennium.. ), into a moderate muslim parents, and families who tried their best to abide by the rules of the religion ( kindly note the word 'tried' which translates into: 'we are not perfect!' Ok?).. I found the stories told by my old friends who happened to be old boys themselves were rather .. hard to believe.

For example..

Most Old boys .. especially the very old ones.. are avid liquor lover and will go to any extent to get them served during the OB weekends. To the extent of having the principal transfered if he didn't do as they say .

Most Old boys only perform the mass prayers like Fridays and Tarawikhs.. and not the daily 5.

I doubted what he said because my mom's little brother is an old boy himself ( judging from his age, which is 57 this year.. most probably he was there in the 60's.) and I can assure you he is not like my OB friend claimed most of the OBs are like.

But after reading these 2 books.. I can see that these OBs( In this case,I take Dato' Hamid and friends as OBs , not Kam Raslan ).... do drink and actually love to drink. Not only that,they also gambled , had free sex, and a list of other things that are forbidden by the religion. No.. don't jump into the conclusion and start sending me hate mails and malicious comments on my blog ( which I won't approve, anyway.. ). I am not trying to say that all MC OBs are like that, not worthy as muslims or things like that .Only the Almighty could decide whether someone is a good muslim or not..

But when it comes to pork. Suddenly one is a muslim again. Isn't that funny? What is it with I am a muslim so I don't eat pork but hey.. that Dom Perignon is marvelous! A woman who covers herself are kampung -ish and backward.. under-educated.. bla bla bla.. But when they are married they want their wives to dress decently. Religion lies in the heart.. no need to show .. but why do u need real food to fulfill your empty stomach? Isn't thinking about it alone is enough?

I just don't get it.

Me..

Don't understand.. especially when these kind of people sometimes try to preach about religion to us..And when these people quoting verses from the Quran and hadiths.. and sometimes quoting the prophet s.a.w and when these people trying to impose the new Islamic views on us.. Since when do we actually have new and old Islamic views? aren't we supposed to believe in ONE God? To follow One Prophet's teaching?

Just what the heck is going on with us muslims? Or is it just us.. Malayans who refused to have the connection to the British cut after independence , hence keeping the tie through this method?

sigh*






Btw, I believe the Old Boys days are almost coming to its end..

now it's time for the Old Girls!! Yeah baby..





ps: all nasty comments are not welcomed and will be deleted by me, so please don't you even try to send one..


pps: Confessions of an old boy was a good read. very entertaining indeed. Go buy one! If u want to borrow mine.. just ring or sms me.. limited only to those who have my phone number..
A Malaysian Journey.. well.. was Rehman Rashid's journey and has almost nothing to do with me although I am also a Malaysian. Not a single point where I could say.. "ha-a la... I agree.. ". If u are a fan of him.. It's good to read it.. and if u r into literature... this is also a good one. I had to flip through my dictionary for quite a number of times searching for the meaning of certain words.. too beautiful for my simple English standard.


pics are courtesy of
1-http://tedmahsun.blogspot.com/2007/05/review-confessions-of-old-boy-by-kam.html
2-http://www.silverfishbooks.com

No comments: